Monday, April 9, 2007

Mental Toughness

I have been working on many schedules for the upcoming week, and have seen many comments about how boring it is to ride on the trainer, and that you just could not stay on it any longer. Best thing I can tell you is to change your focus, especially since we live in Northeast Ohio. I am not originally from here, and I really do miss being able to ride outside in February, March and November but I had to find the man of my dreams and move up here to the North Pole. The 1st year we were married I had signed up for Ironman Florida, Having only been here for 4-5 months, I had no idea how much training I would have to do on that trainer. Being new in town, not knowing very many people, not really knowing where to ride, and Scott being worried about me riding alone, left me no choice but my trainer. I did countless hours on the trainer but the 2 biggest rides I did were two - 6 hour rides, yes - 2 six hours rides, not even on a computrainer, just a good old cyclops trainer. I really did think I was loosing it! Too date that it is my fastest IM time!! This past year I again had to return to my trainer for long rides because of last minute decision to race and because of my life now with my little man. I know many can relate, you have to get it in when you can, sometimes that does mean 4:00 AM.

So the point of this is you can. It will make you stronger, both physically and mentally. Use the time to practice your mental toughness, your focus, your nutrition, race visulization, and the bonus is you can catch up on every movie you have never wanted to see.

Chances are you will be on your trainer again this weekend, so just remember "CAN".
Think of how excited you will be to race, how fun it is going to be to actually pass people, and have moving scenery. Then when your racing you will be able to remember all the tough workouts you made it through when you just were not sure if you could, those are the positive thoughts you want running thru your head raceday, remember where you came from and what you did to get to this moment. Have a great ride!~

1 comment:

JenC said...

I am thankful for my CT. I wish I could go outside, but at least the CT rides are time efficient. I don't know how you did 6 hours though.