Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Why?

Last June when I signed up for Ironman CDA my life and my head were in a different place. I had taken off the 2007 race season in hopes of getting pregnant. When that did not happen for some reason signing up for ANOTHER Ironman seemed liked a good idea.

I had stayed in decent shape but realized it was time to get to work. So I slowly started my Ironman training in November. I was extremely excited. I have always enjoyed the training and the journey of Ironman. However, starting my training with a son who was 2.5 now was very different and difficult for me. I struggled with my longer workouts,not wanting to give up time with my son to prepare properly.

"Why" is one of my son's new favorite words. It has given me a new awareness. The questions come and they come continuously ...why do work? why are you tired? why do you have to swim, bike or run?. I realized the answers to those questions were now different. Training and competing in an Ironman for me creates imbalance. I have decided not to race Ironman CDA. I love the sport and want it to enhance my life not hinder it. For now spending time with my son and husband are what keeps me balanced.

2 comments:

JenC said...

Makes perfect sense to me. Ironman will always be there; he will only be 3 once. Love you!

suziharman said...

This must have been a really hard decision for you and I commend you! There is no comparison with training for a big race, but you can still "train" a bit, especially with friends, and live vicariously through your trainees and blogs (like I do!). Enjoy that little one!